Wednesday, October 8, 2008

So what are those Theobald's up to?

I think we have finally settled into the school year.  Rhett has been at his new job for about a month, and every day is different and new.  He seems to like it alot, and we are enjoying the benefits of a 7-4pm schedule.  This semester I am carrying 17hours at the University. We knew it would be alot, and it borders on being too much but alot of the classes I needed were only offered one time a year.  Luckily, a few of our friends have pitched in and are helping shuttle the kids from school.  I am working for the University still teaching about one class a week, but I ve also been up to something new.  I applied last year for the Americorp program, for those that don't know what it is...it is basically a domestic peace corp.  In exchange for a very small living allowance, and an education award at the end of your year you commit to a certain number of community service hours ( I committed to 900 hours for the year).  The University has an Americorp team  and after a slightly lengthy interview process I was chosen to be a part of it.   Our service year began Sept. 15th. So far I have worked with Habitat for Humanity, the Senior Olympics, Disaster cleanup, EarthShare Community Shared Agriculture and twice a week I tutor kids that live in the Housing Projects.  I am of course the oldest member of the UL team, but I have to say I really enjoy it and the other team members.  When we went to EarthShare, I took Ethan with me. He enjoyed pulling weeds, looking for bugs and I think may have even learned something about gardening. I look forward to taking all of the kids with me sporadically throughout the year, and am excited about what is to come!  I find it interesting that we are prohibited from doing anything that involves fundraising, political campaigning, or trying to get legislation created or passed..what an interesting concept,  making a difference in the community without involving money or politics!

Ethan and Aiden are settled in at school, and looking forward to starting Taekwondo again (we took a two month break while we got settled into school). Aly is enjoying school and is playing soccer for her school team.  We are all healthy, happy, and busy.

Rhett and the Boys are headed to their first scouting campout this weekend and all are excited. Aly and I will be having a girls weekend. Next weekend we are headed to Mississippi for a wedding, it will be great to see family!

We all enjoyed our 4 day break in early September, and look forward to the next time we get a chance to do that...not sure when that will be!

No comments: